Saturday, December 19, 2009

EU in new anti-tobacco sponsor push


EU health commissioner Markos Kyprianou is renewing efforts to drive tobacco sponsorship out of Formula One.

Speaking in an interview with the Financial Times Deutschland, Kyprianou said he has written to the FIA and Ferrari, who are sponsored by Marlboro parent company Philip Morris, to express his desire to see tobacco logos out of the sport.

"Formula One is a symbol," he said. "We must limit the advertising of tobacco as much as possible so we can limit the influence on young people."

Kyprianou said that the continued allowance of tobacco logos at the grands prix in China, Bahrain and Monaco was undermining the EU's ban on cigarette advertising.

He met with Prince Albert of Monaco to discuss the matter earlier this week and plans to meet with Chinese officials next week.

"If European citizens still see tobacco advertising during races, it undermines the purpose of our legislation," he said.

"Formula One drivers are ex! tremely popular: they can become models. If they carry the name of a tobacco company on their chest then that sends the wrong message straight to young people."